Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Portrait of Kelley


I often do commissions throughout the year where I use portraiture and illustration together. I've been doing this kind of thing for some time now and it is always exciting for me to try to capture the subject's personality and emotion and place them in a magical setting. In most cases, it always deals with the imagination, mostly "childlike imagination". In fact, most of the portraiture that I have done has been depicting children.

The above portrait illustration is a recent commission I had done for a wonderful lady who wanted me to capture the essence of her imagination in an illustration. Her name is Kelley and she was a joy to paint.

Today, it is raining and my little son is listening to the raindrops as they musically tap on the rooftop...ah, the sound of rain, there is nothing like it. It always opens the door to my imagination.

Have a magical day,

~James

No comments: